Monday, June 1, 2009

Figures that the moment I decide to resurrect this blog, I get caught up in other stuff and then don't update. My lack of focus is only partly to blame though as we did get hit with some dog drama that needed some attention.


Got to protect my nose from foxtails

First up, the evil unholy bullshit of foxtails. These insidious, wheat wannabes are the plague of the Western states and in particular my long neglected landscape. I have tried to eradicate these things from my yard with no such luck. My dogs don't spend a whole lot of time outside and the time they do spend is supervised and usually filled with playing ball and visiting through the fence so I never worried too much about it. Then one evening my precious Lilou is sniffing around the apricot tree and the next minute sneezing violently. A trip to the emergency vet, $300, and one groggy dog later it was all over. Seeing the bloody foxtail that was pulled out of my baby's nose sent me on a mission though and I have spent just about every free hour of daylight I have getting rid of foxtails.


I'm going to be up all night

Not long after the foxtail incident, Boots decides he doesn't want to sleep at night. Or be quiet or calm or anything like that. He bounces off the walls, destroys everything in sight, and generally just acts like that naked dude on PCP that was on that COPS episode (it was an early one, had a lady cop, probably in Iowa or somewhere midwest...it's a classic). This batshit behavior occurred right around an earthquake time so that might explain it. So I had two sleepless nights on Boots Watch. We took lots of late night walks and I watched him destroy a few bones and every time I would drift off he would pounce on me and lick my face till I woke up. He's a brilliant dog with tons of drive and an insane pain tolerance, so my watch was as much to protect him from himself as it was to protect the house from him. It was over as soon as it began though and he's back to his gentlemanly, creature of habit self who goes to his crate and arranges his blankets when he's ready to go to sleep.

We also had some good drama, some major progress for our family regarding Buster and Boots but I'll save that for another day.

No comments: